Sunday, November 6, 2016

Chocolate Bar

I stand there alone, missing the presence the strange man that offered me the elusive coffee in the middle of the water crisis. That is what I was in really, a crisis. Yet somehow that man looked into my eyes with empathy written all over his face, which calmed me in a way. There is at least one person out there who understands. I consider chasing after him, I mean with that cane he couldn't have gotten very far, and he seemed like a man with loads of stories. Perhaps a bit bitter at the world, but interesting nonetheless. So I run. I am running down the winding paths of Howell park, wind billowing in my shirt, skin tingling just enough to make me feel alive, and I search for the only person that has given me any kind of meaningful interaction since I have been here.

That is when I see him, stunning blue eyes producing fat rolling tears cascading down his impossibly high cheek bones. Even though I had seen Sharon cry just about a million times, it was weird to see this man in such a vulnerable state. I figure he probably doesn't want to be bothered at the moment by some random teenage girl, so I head to the gas station in search of some cheap and very satisfying junk food.

I pick out my favorite Cookies and Cream Hershey's bar, and get ready to head home, when I see him pull in to get some gas. Figuring it must be a sign, I go muster up enough courage to make my way to his car.

"Excuse me sir, I would like to just thank you again for the coffee" I yell flagging him down.

"Yeah of course. Seemed like you needed it."

"Oh absolutely, it's been a rough few weeks here. Some really weird things have been happening. Anyways, I came to give you this chocolate bar, because if there is anything that can come close to coffee it's chocolate!"

"That is very kind of you." He almost timidly accepts my chocolate, and I can tell he isn't entirely familiar with other people helping him out.

"Well I am going to go now just to check on my host mom, but it was a pleasure to meet you Mr..."

"Evergreen. Barnabas Evergreen."

"Goodbye Mr. Evergreen." I turn and head to the Victorian with a grin creeping across my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment